Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: anthropologie Cockadoodle Dress

I was really excited to see the anthropologie Cockadoodle Dress marked down! Even though I *hate hate hate* birds in real life (my friends will attest to this) I decided I needed this adorable sundress. I also loved the happy kelly green color. It took me a bit to write this review because after I received it in the mail, I broke the zipper while trying it on (I have no idea how). I decided I was too lazy to go to the store to exchange it, so I had it fixed at the nearby tailors for $6 and just got it back today.

I loved this photo of the dress on the model. I was concerned that it would be too long on me, but it's actually the perfect sundress length for me. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the dress once I received it, but after trying it on it is love!



First off the construction of the dress is fantastic. I love the sweetheart neckline, and the fabric doesn't seem flimsy nor the embroidery seem prone to unraveling. It is a halter dress, which I usually avoid but thanks to my new fantastic strapless bra (seriously, this thing works miracles), I'm comfortable and confident wearing this halter dress. And don't forget the pockets! Gotta have pockets...

Sizing wise I took a 4, which is my "usual" anthropologie dress size. It's always a crapshoot when I order online, but after working retail and just shopping at anthropologie regularly I have become better at guessing which size I would need (reviews on the site are also helpful).



Here is a closer look at the dress. The buttons go all the way down the dress and they are working buttons. This is in addition to the side zip that I mentioned earlier, which is nice. Sometimes dresses with side zips (that don't go all the way up) can be a pain to put on over your head. In the second photo you can see the snaps that were incorporated to make sure the dress doesn't pull in the wrong spots. 


How cute are the embroidered roosters? They are adorable and don't give me the heebie-jeebies (like real roosters do). 


I decided that this orange pair of MICHAEL Michael Kors sandals (thanks Sophia!) would complement the kelly green of the dress. I may be wrong, but I think this shoe may be a true sample, since the style name that was written on the bottom doesn't really match up to the shoe that goes by the name currently. You can see similar pairs here and here. In this photo I am also wearing a Forever 21 Jersey Knit Bow Headband. No OOTD post today because it was extremely unremarkable (black tunic, black leggings, black flats). But I'll be back tomorrow with one!

26 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS on you! I tried this dress at Anthro, but my regular size 4 was too tight on me and I was too lazy to try a size up. Your shots make me rethink that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going back and forth on whether to get this dress. Now I think I should get it. Looks great on.

    sugarandspiceandnice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it goods very good on you. and you make me want it too.
    I think most of the dresses look good on you except drifting by dress, I didn't wanna be rude and leave u a not-so-nice comment when u reviewed it but seriously.. return that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous (3:03p),
    I actually did end up returning the dress... and thanks for your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress looks so pretty on! Online it just looks shapeless, and I'm always wary of fancy straps, strapless stuff and halter stuff because I can't hold up a strapless bra for the life of me :'(
    One question though: was the pic of you wearing the dress taken in natural lighting? If so, then the website depiction of the color is slightly off, because on you it looks far more vibrant and lovely.
    I'm sad you returned your drifting by dress- I think the color and silhouette looked really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Michelle - I liked the dress online but usually don't like halters - and I even drifted by it in store but it didn't grab me.

    Now seeing you in it (like every other dress you're in - I need to come rob your house and steal all your dresses and accessories!), I may need to return to Anthro this weekend and stalk it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it looks so good on you! I tracked it down yesterday and it's on it's way, my only hesitation was some reviewers said it was a little fuller in the hips than they would like. Your thoughts? It certainly appears to fit you well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is very cute on you! You look great in it. I think the color is very flattering on you. Plus, I love how you paired it with the orange sandals.

    I know you returned your Drifting By dress, but I just wanted to let you know my heart skipped a beat when i saw it on you. I thought it looked great, for whatever that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute. Love how you paired it with those shoes. Amazing contrast. Oh, and green is amazing with your skin tone.

    my blog: La Stylin Girraffe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dress on you. Which VS strapless bra did you get,

    ReplyDelete
  11. anonymous (4:48p),
    I didn't think it was *too* full, I like the way it flares out slightly!

    tara b,
    the photos were taken in natural light, the green is a great kelly green in real life.

    Tien,
    you are just too sweet!

    anonymous (5:45p),
    I put a link in the post, but the bra i am wearing is the VS Pink Push Up Strapless.... except mine is lime green!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is so pretty! I love the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosa - that dress looks amazing on you! Seriously, I wasn't a fan of that dress at all, until I saw it on you. It's perfection!!
    Anyhow, I'm SO happy you posted a link to that VS strapless bra - I am on an endless search for a strapless that doesn't a) fall down and b) smoosh my boobs and make me flat. Does this one fit the bill?
    Also, have you seen it in stores? I want the naked color and it's b/ordered until June!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely lovely! And I love the heels you paired with it as well. I just love kelly green and it looks great on you!
    ~ Athena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim,
    I am not blessed in that region but this bra definitely doesn't fall down (this was my main issue) nor smoosh my boobs. I bought mine in store and the naked color was definitely available!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So so cute! I didn't even try on that dress when I was in Anthro last weekend-I should have! It looks so adorable on you! I myself caved and bought the Fragmented Pipevines dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i m the anonymous at 3.03
    I just went to the store to try on that green dress. It doesn't look as nice on me. I didn't buy it. I do think it is too poofy around my hip or I just have small hip by usa standard.
    I am glad you return the drifting by dress. I think I can give you honest opinion since you were not mad at me : )))
    and I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are so cute! i love this dress on you, and i loved the drifting by dress on you. just one question: what happened to your no buy? not that i'm judging, i'm just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  19. anonymous (7:32),
    i failed in my no buy. but i guess i can always start over again?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, lovely! Green is definitely a great color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Once again, you look so fab in green! I think the fit on this dress is perfect and will be great for hot days in the city. I love the orange sandals with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm anonymous from 7:32- i wouldn't say you failed.. maybe just took a break ;). i just love your outfits! i think this is my favorite blog, so thanks for posting everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with the PP- this dress is very flattering on you! Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to check this dress out!

    www.prettypauperstyle,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The combination is to die for. I love the entire look. You make me REALLY want this dress. Dang it, you make me want everything I see you wearing!!! They need to hire you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the info on the bra Rosa! I'm heading to the mall today, so I will check it out and hope they have the naked color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. this dress looks so cute on you! it is a hard shape to pull off, but you make it work. nice color as well. ~joelle

    ReplyDelete