Thursday, April 8, 2010

Review: anthropologie Salty Seas Dress

The Salty Seas Dress was definitely the one that caught my eye when saw the latest batch of new arrivals. LOBSTERS???? How cute it that? Such a summer clambake, preppy Nantucket look. I wanted it to be a little shorter on me (I'm definitely shorter than the model who was wearing it) so I ordered it in a petite in my normal dress size.


THE GOOD:
The dress is made out of this fantastic crisp cotton and it will be wonderful for really humid days during the summer. The print is also very vibrant in real life, and I think the lobsters are darn cute. I know they aren't for everyone, but I think they are adorable. (Ok, so far I have swans, turtles, and lobsters on my dresses, so what's next? Hint, they wake up at the crack of dawn.) The pockets just add to the darling-ness of this dress. For me the petite length of 30.2" versus the normal 32.5" helped make this more flattering on my shorter frame. I knew I would wear this casually so I didn't want a long dress that may have hit me at an unflattering spot on my knee. Right now I am wearing the dress with yellow peep toes (cute similar pair here) but I think some simple flat sandals would be cute as well. And maybe a floppy straw hat!

THE NOT SO GOOD:
As many other reviewers noted, this dress runs very small in the chest. I am not well endowed in the area and it fit me pretty well, but if I wanted to wear a more padded bra I doubt that it would have fit. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the grosgrain ribbon straps. I wish that they were maybe the same material as the dress, or were adjustable. Luckily, they are at the perfect length for me so it is a non-issue, but I feel like some other ladies might have difficulties with them. 

SIZING:
I would say compared to other anthropologie dresses that this one runs small (especially in the chest). I haven't tried the regular size on, but the petite size seemed to fit just a little bit smaller than the same regular size in other dresses. My overall impression is ordering your "typical anthro dress size" (of course this is always variable) would be a safe bet if you are an A-cup. 

Overall I am very pleased with this dress and can't wait to wear it!

22 comments:

  1. it looks super cute on you! i love how the red pops. this reminds me of the j. crew lobster dress years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. i'm in LOVE with this dress! you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shorter length! Very smart to order a petite size. So pretty on you! And are those tan lines I see?
    Don't forget to add bicycles to your list, haha. I can't wait to see your next dress (cockadoodledoo)! :-)
    ~ Athena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I thought you were on a no buy????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous (5:32),
    Yeah I totally caved into new arrivals + free shipping. Blargh! Especially because I wanted to order the petite size online. I guess I can always try again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size are you in this dress?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous (5:50),
    I'm wearing a 4P in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uuber cute. Love the print!! Great pair with the yellow shoes!!

    www.kellynicky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo I love it!!! it's so summery. as someone that has a 36D in the bust area I totally would agree with the "not so good" part about affordable clothing in general though... which is why I usually have to size way up and tailor it myself in the waist area!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh nooooez you caved on your shopping ban! And you look fab!!! Gah! I'm trying *sooooo* hard not to give in to the new arrivals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! Perfect dress for you-I'm hankering for a sundress too! So it sounds like you've also got a Cockadoodle dress on it's way too! Well if you have to cave, cave big, right? I'm trying not to order the Fragmented Pipevines dress....and I have a Plains & Prairies on hold at my local store to try on...have you tried either of these? or the Collected Calico?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Sharon I unfortunately have not tried any of those dresses on. I was eyeing the Fragmented Pipelines dress myself though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute dress and the petite length was definately a good call!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how long did your "no buy" last?

    ReplyDelete
  15. anonymous (8:11),
    err.... obviously not too long. oops. i guess i can always try again

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look awesome Rosa and love those lobsters on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look soooo nice in that dress! I actually wasn't drawn to that dress at first BECAUSE of the lobsters, but it is such a nice cut and you make it look so good.
    Pretty dress ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought the dress was really nice in person, too. It looks fabulous on you and I think it would be fun for super hot days when you don't want to think about wearing anything other than a simple thin cotton dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi rosa! i was wondering if you could pls tell me how that bombast and cymbal skirt ran in terms of fit cause i'm looking to buy it. thanks! that outfit is one of my favotites on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, I'm sorry your no-buy didn't last as long as you wanted. The lobster dress is undeniably cute, though. I think you made a good choice in ordering a petite size so that it's shorter! I tried it on in the store and wasn't a fan. I thought the grosgrain ribbon straps made the dress look too much like a glorified apron, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I just say, I love your blog! And I love this dress! I just placed an Anthro order and decided on a few sensible, versatile items that fit my budget. But now they seems so boring. I'm thinking of canceling it so I can order this dress instead...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the dress! I find that with petite sizes I generally have to size up since I sometimes like petite lengths but I definitely do not have a petite frame. I think grosgrain straps can work well for a summery look!

    ReplyDelete